Posted on August 7, 2010
Distribution extension for MediaWiki
With only 2 days till the suggested Google Summer of Code ‘pencils down’ date, and a week longer until the firm one, I’m using my remaining time to get some basic functionality working for my GSoC project. I’ve started creating a new extension called Distribution that will provide an API module which can be used to query extension meta-data. Later on it should also be able to do this for core, and provide archived packages that can be downloaded to your MediaWiki server, and directly installed. Initially I’ll probably simply be pointing to the ExtensionDistributor extension on MediaWiki.org, which can create archives for extensions on request. The Deployment extension which I started on earlier on will use data obtained via the API Distribution provides to display available extensions on your local installation. Right now I’m attempting to get the ExtensionDistributor working locally, so I can develop the Distribution extension alongside it, and confirm everything works. This will take some time as it uses Linux/UNIX specific commands, forcing me to use my Kubuntu install, on which my dev environment is only partially set up at the moment.