During the past week I’ve been restoring the documentation and project pages of some of my old (2007 – 2010) projects.
This documentation used to reside on my wiki at wiki.bn2vs.com. This wiki however has been down for two years, as I could not be bothered to fix it. Step one was fixing it, at least partially, so I could copy out the contents.
I logged into my old server and poked at the apache configuration a bit. There was an infinite redirect loop which I fixed. The wiki remained broken though. After some time, I realized there was an issue with the database connection (which was very much not evident given what the wiki displayed). And indeed, I could not login to MySQL using the credentials from my wikis config. After some searching I found the credentials to login to MySQL. And surprise, there is no database for my wiki at all. Huh! Apparently I never got that far into migrating the wiki from my previous (very old) host.
Onto the very old host then… The database is there, good. The pages are in the page database table, good. Everything looks good. Let’s change the DNS recored for wiki.bn2vs.com back to this host. Everything works?! It was broken for two years because I did not change back the DNS record? dafuq?
This old wiki is still up and running now, though I’m not sure how long I’ll keep it enabled. Until then, you can admire the modern software stack it runs on!
With access to the pages on the wiki, migrating the content to my new website was quite easy, though somewhat cumbersome as I needed to translate the wikitext to its markdown or HTML equivalent. The new pages on my website are all linked from the projects parent page.
- GALib – Genetic Algorithm library written in 2010
- Skynet – Travelling Salesman Problem solving application (using GALib) written in 2010
- BN+ Converter Pro – A desktop application providing various text conversion utilities written between 2007 and 2010
- BN+ Brute Force Hash Attacker – A tool for brute forcing hashes written between 2008 and 2010
- BN+ Library – A .Net utilities library written between 2008 and 2010
- Art of Defence SE4 – A Command and Conquer: Generals custom map created between 2008 and 2010